What do predators and successful people share in common?
Five letter word starting with F.
Focus is the differentiator that separates successful people from the rest of the pack. We all have the ability to find the sweet spot once in a while for brief periods of time, yet how often do we lose focus and revert back into old habits?
Focus is often used synonymously with the word clarity. Not surprising that those that have clarity of vision and a clear understanding of what needs to be done to achieve their goal, are generally also more successful at reaching a positive outcome.
In the same way that a predator combines skill, strength and awareness to capture its prey, successful people have the ability to hone all their resources together when it counts.
The biggest challenge we all face as humans is the tendency to be distracted. This is where animals tend to have an advantage over us when it comes to focus, as they are exposed to fewer distractions.
Unfortunately, our current lifestyle makes it particularly challenging to be focused when we are constantly bombarded with daily distractions from social media stimuli to the constant demands that are placed upon us.
Here are some tips on how to harness your focus:
- Reflection: Think of your life purpose and what is important.
- Create a shortlist of tasks that contribute towards your primary purpose and a second list of tasks that need to be done. Focus your attention primarily on the first list and limit your time allocated to complete the second.
- Build momentum, as you get things done, your focus improves.
- Engage in physical activities that boost your physical and emotional vitality.
- Get outdoors, being out in nature has a particularly powerful effect on clearing the mind and building focus.
- Engage in yoga or meditation, two activities that help to still the mind and help harmonize mind, body, and spirit.
- Become aware of distractions that take you away from your purpose.
- Switch off your cellular devices or place them on silent.
- Avoid multitasking, focus on one task at a time, whether it is writing an email, having a conversation with someone or doing anything else, give it your full attention.
- Control your diet and eliminate certain foods that heighten anxiety.
Once we become more adept at mastering these skills, we are more likely to regain focus and control.